Hello, My name is Michele Seel, I am a very passionate
educator within the Autism field. I believe strongly that I am educating students
as well as their families in order to plan for the future.
I am a Life Skills
High School teacher at The Vanguard School in Pa. Malvern, Pa. We educate only
students with special needs from the ages of 6-21. Most of these families have endured many hours of fighting for the right to FAPE regarding their child's education. Throughout the school year I
serve on many committees and a coordinator for respite retreats. These retreats provide families with the much needed rest from caring for a child with special needs. These retreats also provide the students with opportunities to practice independent living skills. During the
summer I am a supervisor for our Vocational Immersion Program, which is an
intensive program to assist young adults in navigating the employment world and
living in a supported environment. I also plan a 12-day overnight/day camp for
children ages 8-25 with special needs. This opportunities exposes children with special needs to a "typical" camp while providing a supportive experience. At camp the children are able to horse back ride, zip line, go tubing, ride on a jet ski, climb a rock wall and much more. it is the most exhausting 12 days of my life but the most rewarding.
My philosophy reflects the understanding that every child
has potential. It is our job as educators to encourage each child to reach
their maximum potential.Thereby guiding each child on their journey to becoming
contributing members of society in their own special way.
Thank you for everything you do! You make such a difference in not only your students lives, but their families lives as well!
ReplyDeleteThank you very much! We all do!
ReplyDeleteI wish it wasn't so hard to get children the help they need. We had a little boy that was very clearly on the spectrum. It was even confirmed by our school psychologist, but we could never get him the placement he needed. He spent most of this year just wandering around the halls. A couple weeks ago he moved to a new school district where he will have to start the process all over again. I don't understand why we can't identify what is best for each student faster and get them in a place where their needs are met, whether that is in the same school, district or somewhere else.
ReplyDelete