I feel I am very fortunate my current administrator is supportive, knowledgeable and will advocate for his staff and students. He is extremely visible throughout the school day. He communicates effectively and consistently recognizes hard work and accomplishments. He allows his staff to make decision without micro-managing and encourages teachers to grow and take an active role within the school community. He consistently demonstrates his support for his staff in numerous ways. He models his respect for everyone and in return has earned our respect. My supervisor encourages the following ISTE standards: Provides learner-centered environments equipped with technology and learning resources to meet the individual, diverse needs of all learners; Ensures effective practice in the study of technology and its infusion across the curriculum. He supports our technology initiatives through encouraging our consistent use of our Smart Boards, I-Pad carts, and Laptop carts. Each classroom teacher has a laptop and an I-Pad assigned to him/her that my supervisor makes sure are accessible for everyone. We have Technology Tuesday’s where our Technology Curriculum Director instructs participants on new or challenging technology issues. Our use of technology has increased in recent years and it has been greatly supported by my school principal.
As a leader technology has been and will continue to be implemented within the curriculum. Technology should not be a once a day subject. Technology should be integrated organically within a student’s environment. Students should feel comfortable and at ease with various forms of technology. I would support teachers in every way necessary to integrate technology within the classroom. I would make every effort to ensure every student has access to some form of technology at the very least at school with the intention to expand into the family’s home. My youngest daughter has been fortunate to have access laptop for the past 7 years through the school district. I have seen first hand how much it has positively impacted her schooling. Clearly technology is a huge part of a teenager’s life, so why not use this to enhance learning. I am writing this blog today after returning from NYC to Face book headquarters with my students. Here we were able to witness the shift in the way business is conducted. Open office spaces, collaboration with co-workers in the office and all over the world. They are valued for their creativity, morale is maintained a high level by the use of uplifting works of art, inspiring posters, and even an art area for employees to take a break. It is our responsibility to ensure our students are prepared for the ever-changing work force. Schools need to embrace change.



I love the idea of Technology Tuesdays! I think that is something that would help some colleagues of mine immensely. I think as a leader it is very important to support teachers in integrating technology into the classrooms. There are many veteran teachers that feel uncomfortable when it comes to technology so that support would be very helpful!
ReplyDeleteWow Facebook headquarters! Sounds like an awesome and educational trip. I agree that technology can enhance learning if incorporated the correct way. I am not shocked about laptops at a young age. There is a charter school company in Philadelphia that I used to work for that was actually paperless and curriculums were on laptops. The creativity in this school was amazing from students using online books to even designing their own video games. It definitely adds some fun into the learning process while also inspiring creativity.
ReplyDeleteI love the Technology Tuesday idea. I was trying to think of ways to share what I am learning, as well as, what other teachers know with the entire staff. We don't do enough sharing in my building which is sad since we have so many great teachers doing great things.
ReplyDeleteTechnology is definitely playing a bigger role in our students education. In the private school my kids go to, it is a requirement that all students bring their own laptop from 5th grade on up. I was browsing through my 6th graders google doc. account and I couldn't believe how many assignments he had done in just 2 years. I also see all my kids using technology in a ton of different ways. I told them that they will be helping me a lot during this class!